Intellectual Property | Technology and Data Protection | Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions | Legal Audit and Regulatory Compliance
- Law Society of Kenya
- East Africa Law Society
Dr. Tom Kabau holds a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in international law from the University of Hong Kong, Master of Laws (LLM) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degrees from the University of Nairobi, and a Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. He has previously been a Transnational Law Summer Institute Fellow at Kings College London (2015), and Research Fellow at Utrecht University (November 2011 – January 2012).
- Evaluation of the regulatory compliance and quality management systems for the School of Law of a Tanzanian University;
- Conducting professional trainings relating to various legal, regulatory and policy matters for diverse public and private entities;
- African Area Advisor for the Oxford Bibliographies in International Law, which is under the auspices of the Oxford University Press;
- Conducting a review of existing and proposed legal and policy instruments with regard to food safety and loss reduction in Kenya for the Society of Crop Agribusiness Advisors of Kenya;
- Undertaking funded research relating to diverse international and domestic legal issues under the auspices of various public, private and civil society organizations. Some of the research findings have contributed to the select publications listed here.
- Advising a large banking corporation in respect of the protection of its intellectual property including handling the registration of its trademarks;
- Advising undisclosed client on the Kenya’s legal and regulatory framework for the protection of plant breeders’ rights, including associated intellectual property rights issues;
- Negotiating and concluding an agreement for compensation pursuant to copyright infringement on behalf of undisclosed client;
- Advising a large software developing company on a software development contract with one of the largest banking corporations in Kenya, which encompassed clauses pertaining to intellectual property rights proprietorship, training, support, maintenance, user obligations, warranties, among others;
- Assisting a software solutions and technology corporation in drafting, reviewing and standardizing end user agreements;
- Consulting for an online e-commerce company with African wide operations on pertinent legal and regulatory issues including those relating to operating a pay gateway.
- Providing front-to-end transactional advisory to investors in an acquisition deal of a trading corporation. The assignment required extensive legal due diligence to ascertain compliance of the target corporation with regulatory, contractual, corporate and tax obligations arising under various legislations and contracts;
- Advising owners in a share sale transaction involving 100% disposal of shares in a trading corporation, which involved preparation and review of a wide range of documentation;
- Providing counsel to a large micro-finance institution in its restructuring drive aimed at its conversion from a non-deposit-taking to a deposit-taking micro-finance institution under the regulation of Central Bank of Kenya.
- Advising large insurance companies that included undertaking incidental documentary review in relation to their compliance with the requirements of the Insurance Regulatory Authority;
- Supporting a large community-focused micro-finance institution on an ongoing basis which includes undertaking legal and regulatory audits;
- Preparing legal and regulatory compliance manuals for a large conglomerate for its diverse corporate entities that include manufacturing, processing and construction operations;
- Undertaking legal and regulatory compliance trainings for management staff in charge of diverse corporate entities of a large conglomerate that include manufacturing, processing and construction operations.