Banking and Finance | Mergers and Acquisitions | Real Estate and Conveyancing | Intellectual Property
- Law Society of Kenya
- East Africa Law Society
Purity Maina joined the Firm of Lesinko Njoroge & Gathogo Advocates as a Trainee Advocate in 2015 and is currently an Associate Advocate at the Firm having been admitted to the Bar in 2018. She has been able to hone her professional skills in advocacy, research, drafting, reviewing, presentation and negotiation. She holds an LLB degree from the University of Nairobi.
Purity has undertaken a vast array of corporate, conveyancing and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, conducting due diligence, undertaking registration of various instruments, and advising on regulatory, compliance and legislative issues affecting different transactions and operations of various entities.
Undertaking due diligence, preparation, stamping, registration and perfection of bank securities involving immovable and moveable properties for various banks and lending institutions including Equity Bank (the large bank in Kenya by customer numbers), Kenya Ecumenical Church Loan Fund (ECLOF) (a large non-deposit taking Micro-Finance Institution with an asset base in excess of US$ 10,000,000.00), and Mwalimu Savings and Credit Society Limited (the largest Sacco in Kenya by assets)
- Acting as part of a Team advising owners in a share sale transaction involving 100% disposal of shares in a trading company, in a deal valued at US$ 4,000,000.00. The mandate involved preparation and review of a wide range of documentation including non-disclosure agreement, share purchase agreement, shareholder and board resolutions, amendments to the constitutional documents, waivers, completion check lists as well as dealing with merge notifications to the Competition Authority of Kenya and obtaining approvals. We also advised on the most efficient tax structures to achieve maximum value on distribution of dividends.
- Acting as part of a Team advising owners of shares in a share sale transaction involving disposition of 60% shareholding in the Company to a France based Corporation. The transaction entailed review of a wide range of documentation including shareholders agreement, share purchase agreement, shareholder and board resolutions, amendments to the constitutional documents, waivers, relevant notices to be filed at the Companies Registry in respect of the changes in the Company's shareholding, and compiling completion documents in line with the completion check lists
- Real estate: Was part of the Team that advised South River Homes Limited, a property development company, on the legal structure for acquisition, development and sale of high-end 160 residential apartments in Kilimani Area, one of the highly sought-after residential neighborhoods in Nairobi. The brief entailed offering legal advice on a continued basis and undertaking work relating to procuring from the relevant authorities, development permits and change of user of the land, drafting the contract documentation (agreements for sale and leases) and incorporation of a management company to manage the development.
- Advisory: Offering legal advisory to property owners on how best to handle transactions with the view of protecting their interests, payment of tax particularly capital gains tax on the issues of exempt transactions, identification of transfer value, adjusted costs and incidental costs.
- Conveyancing: Undertaking due diligence, preparing, negotiating and reviewing transfer, lease and licence documents, procuring completion documents, and undertaking stamping and registrations of the instruments.
Advising clients on various classes under which to register their marks in order to achieve maximum protection of their rights, preparing and lodging for registration relevant documents for registration of the marks culminating in issuance of certificate of registration from the Kenya Industrial Property Institute.